About Me

Tuesday 28 May 2013

TO LIVE THE MI'KMAQ WAY

To Live the Mi'kmaq Way:


Mothers and (Maqmikawe'sku) Mother Earth have brought me up in(Nujioqon)St. George's .NL, through the sacred seven stages of life.

When I was young The Elders (Nsukwis) in and around our communities, were assimilated into society and over 500 years of suppression followed .
They did not know the Spiritual part of our Culture,,,,hunting and fishing and gathering berries , in the fall . All still exists.


My Grandfather made a living from  trading animals, such as mink, beaver etc… to sell or trade the pelts .Only a few people know Medicines but some such as (Hubush), (Bear root), (Kinikwejitewaqsi) Ground Juniper,etc….


I was taught English, Latin, French in day school and I had a hard time trying to stay with the system.


I wanted to be in the bush walking Mother Earth and listening.to the creeks sing slow melodies to me


My thoughts were more clear in that environment. I always had this inner spiritual peace when with nature...



No comments:

Post a Comment