About Me

Wednesday 18 June 2014

TRADITIONAL MI'KMAQ SPRUCE BASKETS

                                                                 


The Traditional Mi'kmaq  Spruce Baskets ........( pu'taliew'l ) , in Mi'kmaq

The following is a story of my journey into learning.  It is  my story. Others can make the same journey, and then , they, too will have   a story.

The making of these baskets  is taught  through an oral tradition, and knowledge is handed down from one to another, and  thus it survives from generation to generation. 

The following is my own personal story and is not taken from any book.
These root baskets have been a part of the Bay St.George Mi'kmaq culture  for thousands of years. They were made by Mi'kmaq people and were a part of every day use in our society.

Mr. Anthony White, of St.George's ,  was an expert in this art , and should be given great recognition.

Several years ago I was inspired by doing some research  into many types of different Mi'kmaq baskets  and came across a few videos on baskets  that were made on the West coast  of Newfoundland.

Hearing others speak of a spruce root basket was further inspiration.

After speaking to several people in the area, I learned that Melvin White had one on display in the St.George's Museum.

This started me on a journey of discovery.

Now knowing that I could speak to my friend about the baskets,  I requested that he teach me the process.

He was very humble.

On the third day he left me on my own and told me that I should experiment with my own style.

He hoped to see me sharing my knowledge with others.

When I was on my third basket I knew that I had to get other artists involved, to teach  and to share  what I was taught by Melvin and my research.

Many times during life I have observed Scott Butt,  my sister's son,  who respected everything that I have done.  He is a well known carver and artist.  I have watched him carve and also make drums.

Looking at my baskets, he helped restyle them and make them presentable to the public.

His interest grew.

Scott had some knowledge which he had acquired from Danny White, a well known basket maker.  Being an artist, he would help me.

Scott made a mold to set the two first cataracts,  a word used by the family  elders.

The black ash shrub is found along the sides of boggy  or cut over areas, only in Western Newfoundland.

Whip rods is another word used,  called such because they were used to clean nets after fishing.

So the mold was set, and this was the first step of the process.

Then   Scott  and I went to find the right shrub from which I would make  the body of the baskets .

We then went to find Spruce roots , with much strength needed to retrieve from the fiber and the moss, staying a distance from the tree , so as to not damage the tree's growth.

After soaking the rods and roots in water for awhile , we then peeled the rods and roots.

Then the roots had to be split, some maybe twice.  Only the outer part of the root is used to weave the basket.

Weaving is the last step of the process.

After the cataract mold is dried and glued , it has to be tied,  one fitting over the other, making first the handle and then the basket.

Then one has to create ears, as some Mi'kmaq call them, on each side of the basket. This is what holds the ribs in place.

This was also taught to me by another artist, Marcella William, also a friend and relative of the Muise family.

Then came the drying , before putting the body/ribs of the basket together , with five rods on each side.

As I learned from Melvin, the first two at the bottom must sit as a rocker ,  lower than the heel of the basket. The other four have to be measured to form the body .

All shared our knowledge about fine tuning the Traditional West Coast  Mi'kmaq Spruce Root Baskets .

All three I honor for sharing their knowledge with me.

Now I am weaving my ninth basket , and will promote this art and share the tradition with others in our Mi'kmaq community.

The creation of a basket takes time. This is not a craft.  It is an art of the Mi'kmaq  people of Bay St.George.


Pikto'l , 

 Sa'ke'j   Muise

VICTOR  JAMES   MUISE

Composed June 15,  2014

ALL  RIGHTS  RESERVED

No comments:

Post a Comment